Thursday 21 February 2008

Inner Ear Infection


This was a promotional video executed for the track "Yog-Sothot" from the Nyarlathotep release by the stellar French electronic music composer Gwenn Tremorin of Flint Glass. This 2006 joint release is available on Brume & Funkwelten Records. An excellent dark atmospheric embodiment of novelist H.P. Lovecraft's cthulhu mythos. Remixes by Ah Cama-Sotz, Disharmon, This Morn' Omina, Empusae, and Xabec
There is some chance that as of next week personal developments may deprive me of a further 50 hours or so I could have devoted to updating this blog, so I was relieved to catch sight of the blog Inner Ear Infection, the most interesting blog on music and related matters I've seen since Infinite Frequencies. Then I learned that the young Canadian guy responsible for IEI hasn't updated this year, so I'm despairing of how many of the blogs I would like to monitor on a more regular basis seem to languish as archives. Be this as it may, the archive is quite large, and from the blogger profile one can get to Bruce's homepage, which features a selection of his more academically oriented writings. The standout for me was his piece on themes of miscegenation, amounting to a kind of "Darwinism in reverse", in the work of H.P. Lovecraft (and therefore in keeping with Acheron's interest in bioculture more generally; that particular case also makes it more abundantly clear than even Houellebecq's extended fan letter to Lovecraft, how much of a thematic influence the old master was on the younger reactionary postmodernist). Such theoretical meditations are in turn neatly complemented by IEI's highlighting of select Lovecraftian "dark ambient" artists, such as Flint Glass. Perhaps some of the other more avowedly "industrial" artists make for a mixed bag, quality/conceptually speaking, but this doesn't diminish my interest in tracing any correspondences with the marvellous Isolationism compilation I picked up, when was that, ten years ago or so?
As this blog's primary function is as an exchange network among a group of friends, I have no idea off the top of my head if IEI is already on the blogroll of Simon Reynolds or other likeminded folks, and it follows with this audience in mind that I don't really [have to] care either.

No comments: